Parents in the Know is a 10-week, professionally facilitated education and group support program for parents of teens. Some parents come to learn more about adolescent development and others come with more specific concerns such as their teen’s mental health, lack of motivation, substance use, abusive or aggressive actions and their defiant/rebellious attitude. Whatever brings parents to group, parents often tell us that the support from others and information on community resources helps them feel less alone and better prepared to parent their teen. This is all provided in a non-judgemental group setting.
Many parents report better relationships with their youth as a result of attending the program.
Parents may also experience:
- Increased confidence as a parent
- Increased ability to defuse conflict
- Better relationships with spouse and past partners
- Knowledge of issues affecting their child’s lives
- Increased ability to advocate on behalf of themselves and their families
- Compassion for other families
- Decreased isolation and greater friendship
- Access to community resources
- New coping and communication skills
- Increased ability to address self-care
Parenting workshops on a variety of topics are also available to Clubs across Canada.
If you are interested in accessing the Parents Together program in your community, please contact BGCC's Parenting Programs Manager:
For more information on Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada programs, visit National Programs. For more information about local Club programs, Find a Clubnear you and enquire.
BGCC Parenting Programs now on Facebook and Twitter!
Check out the Facebook and Twitter pages for BGCC Parenting Programs. These pages highlight programming available, parenting articles, practical ideas for parents and family educators, current research and much, much more!