We serve young people who are facing barriers of all types and we see firsthand the effects of serious systemic issues. Our core values—Belonging, Respect, Encouragement and Support, Working Together, Speaking Out—are built around inclusion and we firmly stand against systemic racism, prejudice, discrimination, and injustice.
EDI & Indigenous Engagement in 2022
In our 2022 Annual Report, we highlighted our key highlights around BGC Canada’s work in EDI and Indigenous Engagement:
- The National EDI Staff survey was conducted with over 800 respondents from coast to coast to coast.
- Established a National Taskforce of EDI Specialists for Clubs to provide insight and guidance on our work to support them.
- Developed Foundations and Elevations, two new EDI e-learning curriculums designed for frontline staff inclusion training that all new BGC staff are required to take.
- BGC Canada signed a memorandum of understanding with the National Association of Friendship Centres on September 29, 2022.
- Provided eight customized EDI training sessions for local Club Senior Management & Boards.
- Expanded partnership with the Downie Wenjack Fund to include over 80 sites participating in the program.
- Indigenous Advisory Circle (IAC) developed Terms of Relations and began informing and guiding BGC Canada’s work with Indigenous Nations across Canada.
- We launched the first-ever Indigenous Youth of the Year, celebrating Indigenous youth leadership and achievements at Clubs across Canada.
2020/2021 BGC Canada EDI Report
This report outlines the advocacy, training, resources, national programs and initiatives that BGC Canada currently has in place and the future actions we will take to be effective allies, dismantle systemic inequities, and help our Clubs create even more inclusive, safe spaces for all young people.