1900: A safe place to play
A group of concerned local citizens in Saint John, New Brunswick set up a “public playground movement” to provide a safe place for children to play, in particular boys from disadvantaged circumstances who had no place to go after school. Originally established as the “Every Day Club,” it was later named The East End Boys Club of Saint John, the first Boys Club in Canada.
1929: Officially established
In 1929, the Boys’ Club Federation of Canada was officially established by Vernon McAdam, the first National Executive Director. In 1947, the organization was renamed Boys’ Clubs of Canada, and a year later was recognized by the Canadian government as a national nonprofit. In 1974, to reflect the growing number of young girls participating in Club programs, the organization changed its name to “Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada”.
Today: In communities nationwide
The need is still great for the vital educational, recreational, and skills development programs and services Boys and Girls Clubs offer in communities nationwide. In small and large cities, and rural and Indigenous communities, Boys and Girls Clubs continue to help young people overcome barriers, form positive relationships, and mature into responsible, caring adults.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada Foundation was established in 1995 to help support Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada, its member Clubs, and the children and youth that Clubs serve.
The Boys and Girls Clubs of Canada Foundation oversees endowment funds, scholarships, and the J.W. McConnell Trust Fund. View the Foundation’s financial statements.
Board of Trustees
Weathermark Group Ltd.
Treasurer & Secretary
BMO Financial Group
Fidelity Investments Canada
Emergent BioSolutions Canada Inc.