Everyone celebrates Canada Day in their own way.
As we think about July 1 and the nature of this complex country, we have gathered some information and resources to help acknowledge Canada’s ongoing issues and work towards a better future together.
Read BGC Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commitment Statement
Our CEO Owen Charters has also written an article on being Canadian in this moment.
- Read the TRC’s Calls to Action
- Wear an orange shirt in memory of the children who did not survive residential schools
- Donate to an Indigenous organization
- Talk to your children about residential schools
- Read a book or watch a film about one of the many Indigenous cultures on Turtle Island
- Learn about the Indigenous peoples whose land you live on
- Incorporate a land acknowledgement into your event
- Fly the Indigenous Canada flag, designed by Mulidzas-Curtis Wilson
- 4Rs Youth Movement
- National Centre for Truth and Reconciliation
- Personal acts of Reconciliation (CBC)
- Indigenous Ally toolkit (Montreal Urban Aboriginal Community Strategy Network)
- Indigenous support information (Here to Help)
- Two-spirit and Indigenous Queer Studies (University of British Columbia)
- National Indian Residential School 24-hour crisis line: 1-866-925-4419